Post Pregnancy - What food you should eat
Post Pregnancy which is also called as the post-partum period is a time frame that is right after giving birth to the child. This is a period that requires intense care of health and well-being for the child as well as for the mother. In this blog, we will try and point out the diet and nutrients which are beneficial and helpful for the mother during the post-partum period.
During pregnancy, your body goes through major changes, and one of such visible changes is an increase in your body weight. During the post-pregnancy period, you need to have approximately 300 more calories per day to maintain the body stamina level. During the post-pregnancy period what you eat, how much you eat, and when you eat has major implications on your body and its recovery. Below we are recommending some of the food items which are rich in protein, calcium, iron, vitamins, and omega-3, which shall form a part of your overall diet plan so that you can recover and get back in your original body shape in no time. Without further ado, here is the list of food items that shall form a part of your diet:
- Low-fat dairy products – Low-fat dairy products such as milk, curd, cheese, yogurt are an important source of calcium, protein, and vitamin B. Low-fat dairy products shall form an important element of your overall meal plan. These food products also help nursing mothers and the baby. The child gets the much-needed calcium through nursing which helps in bone development and growth.
- Lean meat – Lean meat is an important source of protein, vitamin B12, and iron. Lean meat helps the nursing mother to maintain the energy level which is much needed after the child's delivery during the post-partum period.
- Pulses – Pulses in India are among the staple food crop which is consumed and liked by both vegetarians and non-vegetarians alike. Pulses are rich source of proteins, vitamins, fibers, and minerals. The presence of fiber in the pulses also help you to lose weight while at the same time providing you with the much-needed calories and proteins.
- Citrus Fruit – Citrus fruits such as oranges, lemons, etc. are important sources of vitamin C. Vitamin C helps your body to maintain your immune system and helps you and your baby to make collagen for your bones, tendons, and skins.
- Eggs – Eggs are an important source of proteins and the ideal food for nursing mothers. Eggs contain proteins that help you to recover from the fatigue of childbirth.
- Green Vegetables – Leafy Green vegetables such as broccoli, spinach, etc. contains vitamins and minerals and are an important source of anti-oxidant. Anti-oxidant are important elements to keep your heart healthy and young. Apart from that these green leafy vegetables are also a good non-dairy source of vitamin C, calcium, and iron which help you immensely during and after pregnancy.
Above are a few of the food products which are helpful during and after pregnancy, and can help you immensely to recover from the post-partum period. If you want to have a customized diet plan and detailed consultation, feel free to visit our clinic or you can take appointment through our website www.dieticianashugupta.com