As it is a lifestyle-based disorder, creating a diabetic patients diet, indeed, becomes crucial for everyone. Hence, you just cannot throw in anything to your food chart. You will need to be considerate of your condition and include only the healthful items in it. Be sure to go through the write-up until the end to learn more about the disease and the diet structure for the same.
What Are The Causes Of Diabetes?
There are two different types of diabetes, which can affect you during your lifetime. These are – type-1 diabetes and type-2 diabetes. Each of them is unique in their own accord. Thus, they have a separate set of causes as well. So, the best diet plan for diabetes needs to be different for them as well. Nonetheless, let’s learn more about the causes first.
The prime causes or risk factors for type-1 diabetes consists of –
- Environmental Factors: The disease can occur due to exposure to various viral illnesses, such as enteroviruses, rotavirus, etc.
- Family History: Type-1 diabetes is, in essence, a type of genetic ailment. Thus, if it runs in your family, then it quite possibly occurs to you as well.
- Location: There are several countries in the world, where type-1 diabetes disease is quite prominent. Sweden and Finland are some of the crucial names amongst them.
- Presence of Auto-antibodies: In some cases, the presence of diabetic antibodies in your body can also prompt the occurrence of type-1 diabetes. So, be sure to get checked for the same if you are suspecting anything at all.
The factors that might cause type-2 diabetes are –
- Overweight: If you are obese, then the number of fatty tissues in your body will be immeasurable. This, in turn, can increase your body’s resistance to the insulin hormone.
- Genetics: Like type-1 diabetes, type-2 diabetes, too, tends to run in the families. So, if your father or mother had suffered from it, then your chance of developing the same increases massively as well.
- Age: Your pancreas begins to get less efficient and powerful as you age. So, its capability to stimulate and regulate your insulin and glucose level reduces as well.
- Ethnicity: Although it is quite unclear, the prevalence of type-2 diabetes is much more common among Hispanic and black people.
- Gestational Diabetes: If you had developed gestational diabetes during your pregnancy, then there is an increased risk for you to develop type-2 diabetes as well.
- High Blood Pressure: The issue of hypertension or high blood pressure tends to attract a whole set of diseases. Diabetes, especially the type-2 variant is one of them.
Why Healthy Eating Is Important In Diabetes?
There are several reasons, which prompt most people to follow the best diet plan for diabetes. Here are some of the benefits of the same.
- It can help you to improve your digestion. This way, it becomes easier for your body to break down glucose and regulate it properly.
- By following a proper diet plan for diabetes patients, you can lower your weight pretty proficiently as well. It, in turn, can help you to maintain your obesity and lower the severity of diabetic symptoms.
- It may help in lowering your blood pressure as well. Thus, your risk of heart disease and diabetes will get lowered as well.
- Last yet not least, it can also slow down or prevent the development of diseases. This way, you will not have to deal with the complications of the same too.
Aside from following the best diet plan for diabetes, you will also need to indulge in exercising as well. Otherwise, losing your bodyweight will not be an easy job for you.
What to Eat?
There are several tasty food items that you can eat while controlling or maintaining your diabetes. Here are some of them that you should add to your diabetes diet plan.
- Fatty Fishes: Unlike how it sounds, the fatty fishes are, indeed, healthy for your body. They can help in reducing the risk of heart disease by lowering the number of triglycerides. Moreover, they are also ideal for reducing inflammation and enhancing the functioning of your arteries.
- Vegetables: Vegetables, especially the leafy green ones, are ideal for including in a diabetes diet plan as well. They are a decent source of vitamin-C and can help in improving the strength of your pancreas. Furthermore, they can increase the number of minerals and vitamins in your body to avert any further complications.
- Avocado: Avocados are considered to be an ideal snacking option for people who are suffering from diabetes. They can boost the diet quality by increasing the amount of nourishment in the same. Moreover, they are ideal for your digestive tract.
Besides these, you can also include eggs, chia seeds, Greek Yogurt, beans, etc. to make the best diet plan for diabetes.
What to Avoid?
There are a few food and drinking items that you need to avoid while following the best diet plan for diabetes. Let’s learn more about them as well.
- Artificially-sweetened beverages
- White bread
- Trans fat
- Flavored coffee drinks
- Maple syrup
- Agave nectar
How does Diet help To Control Diabetes?
The best diet plan for diabetes can help you in controlling your diabetes by lowering the amount of glucose from your blood. Moreover, it can improve the working capability of your gastrointestinal tract and aid in regulating blood sugar levels as well.
How Dietician Can Help?
A dietician can help you in setting up the best diet plan for diabetes. He/she can assist you in learning more about the food items and their benefits/disadvantages for your health. Moreover, they can ensure if you are following the diet plan properly by keeping an eye on your health. Lastly, they can also provide some crucial exercising tips, which might help you in maintaining your blood sugar level properly. If you also want to consult the Best Dietician in Gurgaon consult with Dt. Ashu Gupta to get the best result